Learn to laugh at yourself. While that is a lesson in humility, here I'm going to talk about another way of laughter.Perhaps because I'm in the middle stage - out of school and not qualified yet for a job - that I can look around and find many scenarios to laugh at.Mind you,this is not out of a feeling of condescension,patronizing or degrading others.Since I've chosen the arts, I can smirk when I see students poring over textbooks, preparing for entrance exams and a horde of others to get into reputed institutions.I can smother my snickers when I see newly employed youngsters('upstarts',in the words of Joseph Addison) making themselves look ridiculous while spending money, or parents having a hard time controlling kids who are a handful.Reading 'Marley & Me' brought to mind that last scene.
Being in those situations is a world apart from witnessing it from a distance and though I sympathise with those I observe, I find relief when I see greater struggles being won.Everyone is struggling in some way, and the proof that some emerge stronger from the burns gives one the courage to plough on.

Comments